“It’s Happening In The Field”
Bible-Based Teaching * Salvation & Deliverance * Mission & Outreach
Rev. Dr. Arthur Carson, Jr.
Born August 16, 1949 in Reynolds, Georgia to the late Arthur Carson, Sr. and Ida Marie Carson, Dr. Carson is the third child of six children. Rev. Carson was reared in the central section of Orlando, Florida.
Our First Lady
Minister Antoinette Carson
Minister Antoinette Carson, born November 13, is a native of Augusta, Georgia. She is the third child born to Mr. Moses and Mrs. Martha Reid.
Our Mission Statement
“To be a beacon of light in the lives of people by taking the Good News of Jesus Christ wherever they are.”
In 1876, a small group of believers who were touched by God saw the need for a place to worship in the Scotts Crossing community in Northwest Atlanta.
Responding to the call, the people organized a church. W.J. Scott, a black businessman who lived in the area, donated nearly two acres of land at 1817 Hollywood Road. Many people were surprised by Mr. Scott's generosity, considering the fact that he was not a Christian at that time.
Owners of the nearby Whitter Mill, which manufactured cotton, yarn, twine, and cord, provided the small congregation with the needed lumber. Volunteer laborers of the community gave freely of their time to build the edifice. It was one big room with a few windows and a potbellied stove in the middle of the floor. Once the building was complete a few months later, the members gathered to decide upon a name. They called their new place of worship the Springfield Missionary Baptist Church.
Mr. Scott, who previously was ordained as a minister, began serving as Pastor to this small group of people and served faithfully until his death in 1929. In subsequent years, several men called by God from the community, served the small congregation. The list included the Rev. W. W. Watson, the Rev. D. K. Gordon, and the Rev. W. H. Dixon. In 1947, the Rev. S. Randolph was called to serve as pastor; he and his wife Mrs. Donnie Randolph were faithful in their commitment to God and the church. They retired in 1976.
During the 29 years that Rev. and Mrs. Randolph served the members of Springfield, the church grew in both spirit and number. The old church structure was totally remodeled during his tenure. Central air and heating were installed and the church purchased a new organ and piano.
In October 1976, Rev. Randolph, having grown physically tired from his labor, retired as Pastor, and served as Pastor Emeritus until his death in June 1982. Upon his retirement, he and Sister Randolph were honored for their years of hard work and faithful service; they were toasted at a lavish banquet. Members fondly remember Rev. Randolph, mostly for his profound teachings from the Holy Scriptures and his genuine love and understanding of people.
On September 26, 1976, the Springfield family extended a call for a new minister. After hearing from several candidates, they chose a fiery-tongued, young seminary student named Arthur Carson, Jr. Already an ordained Baptist Minister, the Orlando, Florida native was attending the Interdenominational Theological Center of Morehouse School of Religion in Atlanta. On October 10, 1976, he accepted Springfield's call and officially became Pastor on November 7, 1976. In the early 80's, the Springfield Family, under Rev. Carson's leadership, and following a vision given him by God, began making plans to build a new place of worship in the Scott's Crossing Community. A committee was formed to find out what property was available in this area. Later, Springfield members decided to meet with Mr. S. H. Hudson to negotiate a purchase price for the property. At the time twenty-eight acres were available. In 1984, the church agreed to purchase ten of the twenty-eight acres. Five were brought with a cash payment of $75,000. In November 1985, before the last five acres could be paid off, Mr. Hudson donated the remainder of the land. The building program moved forward, and on Sunday, December 3, 1989, the Springfield family marched into its new edifice.
Under the leadership of Dr. Carson and his wife Minister Antoinette Carson, Springfield's continued growth can be seen spiritually and numerically. They strongly urge us to seek to win others to the Lord, to diligently study the Bible, to have a deep, meaningful prayer life, and to engage in a ministry of caring for each other. These components will contribute to even more growth as the members reach out into the community to make Christ known.
Years later in 2010, after spending countless moments with God, a new vision far more that we could ever imagine was revealed to our Shepherd Dr. Arthur Carson, Jr. Being obedient, prayed up and following God’s vision, plans were made to build a new place of worship connecting the original vision. On August 28, 2016 we moved out of the building so that the construction of the new building could begin. We were blessed by God to move back to our old sanctuary at 1817 Hollywood Road, where the Rock of Salvation Christian Church was worshipping. We were able to share this facility for thirteen months. On May 8, 2017, the previous building flooded and a project to restore the building was initiated.
On September 9, 2017, the vision was finally realized and Springfield celebrated its’ move into a new edifice that seats 500 souls. In January 2018, the new building was named “Springfield Missionary Baptist Church Worship Center” and the previous restored building was named the “Carson-Randolph Annex”.
TO GOD BE THE GLORY for the great things He has done.